Your immune system is essential to your overall health and well-being. It helps your body fight off infections, illnesses, and viruses for better mental and physical health. The more resources and support you can give to your immune system, the better it can function.
Fortunately, there are several things you can do to support your immune system, and the easiest place to start is with your diet. Eating the right foods can restore your body and provide essential vitamins and nutrients for immune health. With a strong immune system, you have a better chance of staying healthy, even during cold and flu season. Read on for details about the best vitamins for your immune system.
The Bottom Line
- The Role Vitamins Play in Your Immune System - A look at the different parts of your immune system and the vitamins that help
- What Vitamins Are Good for Immune System Maintenance? - A comprehensive list of the vitamins necessary to take care of your insides
- Why Immune System Maintenance is Key - Taking care of your immune system can be preventative for further illnesses down the road
- How Ensō Superfoods Powders Can Help Your Immune System - Learn about the benefits of integrating a superior super greens powder in your everyday
- Boost Your Immune System with Ensō Superfoods! - Give your body what it needs!
The Role Vitamins Plan in Your Immune System
Your body’s immune system consists of many different parts, from the cells themselves to the chemicals and processes they use to fight off pathogens, such as viruses and bacteria. The right vitamins can encourage an enhanced immune response. When your immune system has enough resources, it can work better, reducing your chances of getting sick and lessening the symptoms of certain illnesses.
While it’s best to get most of these immune-boosting nutrients from food, getting every essential vitamin is not always possible, even if you have a diverse and healthy diet. Supplementing your diet with Ensō Superfoods is an easy way to get the perfect balance of nutrients for a strong immune system.
What Vitamins Are Good for Immune System Maintenance?
There are several vitamins, such as C and D, that boost immune function. Along with vitamins, there are many other essential nutrients that can help your immune system function optimally.
1. Vitamin C
- Origin: Citrus fruits, bell peppers, dark leafy greens
- Superpower: Antioxidant, immune cell function
- Key benefits: Vitamin C supports a healthy immune system in several ways. It helps the immune cells function properly and encourages cellular death, clearing old cells so new ones can replace them. Getting enough vitamin C can reduce the duration and severity of illnesses like the common cold.
2. Vitamin D
- Origin: Fish, eggs, sunlight
- Superpower: Decreases inflammation, supports white blood cells
- Key benefits: Vitamin D supports white blood cells to help them fight off pathogens effectively. It also can decrease inflammation for a more effective immune response. Recent research shows that vitamin D may also protect against respiratory tract infections.
3. Vitamin E
- Origin: Nuts, spinach, seeds
- Superpower: Antioxidant
- Key benefits: This fat-soluble vitamin is a strong antioxidant that helps reduce free radicals, which can damage healthy cells. It can also lower the risk of clots in the arteries and heart and promote overall immune function.
4. B vitamins, especially B6
- Origin: Chicken, salmon, green vegetables
- Superpower: Support for enzyme functionality
- Key benefits: There are 8 B vitamins, all of which help your body’s enzymes function properly. Three complex B vitamins, B6, B9 (folate), and B12, are especially useful in reducing the risk of cancer and heart disease. Vitamin B6 also helps support the immune system’s biochemical reactions.
- Origin: Whole grains, dairy, meat, and nuts
- Superpower: Immune cell development and communication
- Key benefits: Zinc is a mineral that helps the immune system function properly by encouraging the development of immune cells. It also helps the cells communicate effectively and provides extra protection for the body’s tissue barriers that are designed to stop pathogens from entering.
- Origin: Fruit of the Sambucus plant
- Superpower: Antiviral, anti-inflammatory
- Key benefits: Elderberries have strong anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties that make them ideal for helping the immune system effectively fight off infections. Elderberry syrup is often recommended as a cold remedy, and it helps lower the swelling in mucus membranes.
- Origin: Chemical element found in meat, fish, beans, and wheat
- Superpower: Cell protection, DNA production
- Key benefits: Just a small amount of selenium helps the body produce DNA and protects cells against infections and other damage. Selenium can also help with thyroid function and reduce the risk of cancer and cardiovascular disease.
- Origin: Flowering plant
- Superpower: Protection from colds, the flu
- Key benefits: Echinacea has a long history as a dietary supplement, and some evidence suggests that it can reduce the chance of getting a cold. Additionally, it can be effective against the influenza virus and is often used in throat sprays to reduce sore throat symptoms.
- Origin: Resin from tree buds
- Superpower: Anti-inflammatory, antioxidant
- Key benefits: Propolis is another nutrient that can help reduce the duration of (and possibly prevent) upper respiratory tract infections, such as the common cold. It can enhance the immune system’s natural function, and research shows that it may have antiviral properties.
- Origin: Flowering plant
- Superpower: Antiviral
- Key benefits: This herb contains andrographolide, which has antiviral properties. It can help protect your body from influenza and other viruses that cause respiratory diseases. It’s also traditionally used as a fever reducer and painkiller, and it may shorten the duration of a cold when taken with Siberian ginseng.
Why Immune System Maintenance is Key
Many people never think about their immune system until they get sick. You might feel a tickle in your throat and rush to drink some orange juice or take a vitamin C supplement. While these “emergency” measures can sometimes reduce the length and severity of an illness, it’s much better to keep your immune system in top shape all the time. In fact, one study showed that it is much less costly (in terms of physiological resources) to maintain the immune system compared to the energy cost of mounting a strong immune response.
So what are the best ways to maintain your immune system? Getting lots of rest and plenty of water are two things that can keep your immune system in top shape.
Numerous studies show a strong link between nutrition and immune health. Worldwide, the most common cause of immunodeficiency is malnutrition. On the other hand, a diet that provides enough nutrients for optimal cell health and functionality can significantly improve the immune system’s response.
An immune-boosting diet includes key vitamins (e.g., vitamins C and D), nutrients (e.g., iron, selenium), fiber (e.g., leafy greens), probiotics (e.g., yogurt), and prebiotics (e.g., garlic, seaweed). With a healthy diet, you can get most of these nutrients every day. However, you might not be able to get optimal amounts, which is why it can be helpful to supplement your meals with Ensō Superfoods. Read more about the immune-boosting power of our Supergreens powder.
How Ensō Superfoods Powders Can Help Your Immune System
Ensō Superfoods powder is formulated to provide you with optimal amounts of key immune-boosting nutrients.
- Barley grass: This plant provides a host of immune-boosting enzymes, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and antioxidants that help fight short-term infections.
- Spirulina powder: This type of algae provides vitamin C and multiple B vitamins along with other micronutrients that are vital for immune support.
- Chlorella powder: Another alga that provides lots of B and C vitamins along with iron and folic acid that support digestion, good blood pressure, and a healthy immune system.
- Ginger root: Ginger promotes healthy circulation and helps encourage good inflammatory responses in the immune system.
Ensō Superfoods makes it easy to give your immune system the support it needs to protect you from illness. Just add a scoop to your favorite beverage and enjoy. Subscribe now!
FAQs About What Vitamin is Good for the Immune System
It can take a while to optimize your diet for immune support. Learn more about giving your immune system a daily boost with key nutrients.
Does your immune system protect you from COVID-19?
Your immune system’s job is to protect your body from infections, but it doesn’t always know the correct “fighting technique” for every pathogen or virus. You may experience COVID-19 symptoms while your body is fighting the virus.
What are ways to strengthen your immune system to prevent COVID-19?
The right vitamins and nutrients can help your immune system fight off COVID-19. Getting enough sleep, reducing your stress levels, and staying hydrated are other important ways to support your immune system.
Is vitamin D beneficial against infections?
Yes! While vitamin D is usually associated with skeletal health, researchers have also found that it helps the immune system respond to initial and recurring viral infections.
What are the best vitamins for kids to boost their immune system?
Kids benefit from the same immune-boosting nutrients as adults: vitamins C and D and zinc. Multivitamin supplements that include other nutrients can also help children who don’t get enough nutrition from their diet.
Boost Your Immune System with Ensō Superfoods! Try it today